The cap, gown, and tassel for bachelor’s degree candidates and the standard cap, gown, and tassel regalia for graduate degree candidates are made from 100% recycled materials and can be recycled after graduation at designated sites throughout campus. Look for boxes marked with the Tiger Grad! The collection will run from June 5-7.
Please note: The gowns are not recyclable in any traditional recycling bin on campus or your home recycling.
Here are the locations of the collection boxes for students who choose to recycle their gowns:
- Library near the Living Room/Lobby
- Lobby outside the Julian Street Library
- Rocky Dining Hall
- Outside the Mathey College Office
- Yoseloff Lawn, near Bloomberg
- Outside the Whitman College Office
- Lakeside Commons Building
- OGC Common Room
Why recycled gowns?
- Each gown is made from 23 recycled plastic bottles
- CO2 emissions are reduced by 54.6% in the process of manufacturing plastic versus traditional polyester